Friday, February 09, 2007

The Eternal Embrace



The Eternal Embrace...that is what it has been called...

Recent newspapers carried the above photograph, or ones like it with a rather remarkable story…it is a story of a love affair that was 5,000 years old. The couple were found 25 miles from the city of Verona, Italy where Shakespeare set his famous play “Romeo and Juliet.” The couple were found buried facing each other, and hugging one another. All indications are that they died very young. Elena Menotti, the archeologist who led the dig put it this way…

"It was a very emotional discovery," she said. "From thousands of years ago we feel the strength of this love. Yes, we must call it love."

In looking at a larger photograph of the couple, they are curled up together, hugging one another. Looking closely you can see one person with arms around the other’s shoulders – while that person puts their arms around the first person’s neck. They are staring into one another’s eyes. No one will ever know if the couple died in each other’s arms or not. But imagine for a moment that they did -- the love that everyone felt, and you can still feel thinking about this couple, is incredible.

…and that is what it is like to feel Jesus’ love. It is a lasting eternal love. It is far too easy to rationalize it, and put it in a historical perspective. We all have heard it said, “Jesus died for you.” But think of it for a moment. How many people do you know that would die for you? Who would take your place in death so you could live? Do you know anyone? Not someone who says they would, for so many do. Who would “take the bullet” for you as they say. Yet, Jesus died for me. He died a very brutal death. He died for me, so I would not have to suffer eternal death. I think of Christ, at the moment of His death, as He stares into eternity – and stares into my eyes. He says, “I love you” and He dies…for me.

How incredibly romantic is that?

Yet few people think of Jesus in terms of romance. Well…a few nuns perhaps….and I JUST HAPPEN to be a nun. Yes, feeling Jesus’ love is like that. True, a spiritual marriage is like any other. Not every moment is filled with ecstasy. Yet there are those passion filled moments when Christ shares His love with His brides…

…and yes…it is like that, an Eternal Embrace.

1 comment:

AbbyNormal said...

"How many people do you know that would die for you? Who would take your place in death so you could live? Do you know anyone? Not someone who says they would, for so many do. Who would “take the bullet” for you as they say." You know, I read this and everytime it strikes me because I did have someone that died for me. In fact, he took three bullets for me. I have always viewed him as an angel. He was the angel sent for my stubborn soul to show me that miracles still exist. And my kids and I would not be alive today if it had not been for him. And as I remember him looking at me with such love and when I remember him lying on the floor after the last breath he had, I have never seen such a peaceful expression, the most peaceful expression he ever had. I wonder sometimes whether our Lord Jesus had a similar expression after His death and before His resurrection.